Ask a Professional Locksmith: How to Maintain the Quality of an Antique Door LockFebruary 26, 2019
If you are lucky enough to own a home with antique features, you'll likely want to make sure that you keep them in good shape. One of the most common questions that we get asked pertains to maintaining antique door locks. Antique door locks can do more than just secure your home, they can provide an amazing boost of aesthetic value. Antique door locks can add a ton of personality to your home while separating you from the rest of the properties on your block. Today, we are going to talk you through maintaining that door lock so that you can enjoy the antique for years to come.
Maintaining Your Antique Door Lock
Any time that you are dealing with antique mechanisms, you have to be careful about how you approach maintaining them. After all, antiques can't simply be replaced by heading to the nearest store. Your antique door lock is more than just a piece of security for your home, it is a sign of the time that it was installed. In order to keep that lock in the best shape possible, you'll have to be very careful about how you approach maintaining it. Listed below are a few ways that you can keep your antique door lock in great shape for the foreseeable future.
1) Careful Cleaning Process - At least once a year you are going to want to carefully remove the hardware from your door. Upon doing so, use a sponge with gentle detergent in order to thoroughly clean all of the mechanisms inside. If you have a brass antique door, you're going to want to use brass polish. If you don't want to fuss about with chemical-laden detergents, consider using a little bit of lemon juice in order to spot clean and erase tarnishing.
2) Lubricate the Antique - After you've removed your hardware, you'll want to lubricate it before re-installing the door lock. Use special penetrating oil and be sure not to over-apply the lubrication. If you put too much lubrication on, make sure to wipe it away so as to prevent problematic residue buildup.
3) Consider Professional Assistance - Finally, if you don't feel comfortable removing and maintaining your antique door lock, you should know that there is always help out there for you. A professional locksmith can come in and help you to maintain your locks so as to keep them in perfect shape for today and years to come.
Antique door locks shouldn't be taken for granted but they also should not be left alone. Follow our careful cleaning tips and you'll be able to maintain your antique lock for years to come.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Four Most Efficient Ways to Ensure Bump-Free Locks from Glenferrie Locksmiths
- Know the Most Ideal Safe Lock Mechanisms from Glenferrie Locksmiths
- The Basics of Tubular Locks and How They Can Best Secure Your Property
- Things to Consider in Assessing the Reliability of Your Residential Locksmith
- Commercial Property Security: Lock System Must Haves for Office Units and Businesses
- What are the Common Causes of Lock Failures and How to Avoid Them?
- How to Choose the Right Kinds of Lock for Your Home
- How Can Homeowners Ensure Maximum Lock Security for Ongoing Construction Projects?
- 5 Door Lock Problems that You Must Not Ignore
- Things You Need to Know in Choosing the Right Locksmith for Your Home
- Things You Need to Know about Installing a Security Safe in Your Home
- What is Locksmith Fraud and How to Avoid Dealing with Them?
- What is a Master Key System and Its Importance in a Commercial Space?
- Pros and Cons of Keyless Entry for Homes
- How to Fix Common Lock Problems
- 4 Situations that Call for Replacing Office Locks
- Odds of Home Burglary and How Certain Locks Can Prevent It
- Benefits of Using Digital Smart Locks for Your Melbourne Home
- Step by Step Process of Designing Master Key Systems
- View all articles…
- Is Your Front Door at Risk of a Break-in? Have it Checked by Professional Locksmiths
- From Conventional to Digital Locks: Technological Evolution in Locksmithing
- View all articles…
- Pros and Cons of Restricted Key System vs. Standard Locks
- Security Tips for Factories When Moving to a New Location
- View all articles…