Avoid DIY Locksmithing Mistakes: Hire a ProfessionalMarch 8, 2019
Making sure that your property is secure can be one of the toughest tasks that you undertake. The reason? It seems so simple to install and maintain your own locks that you can frequently end up making serious mistakes. While we respect and admire the DIY effort, there are certain tasks that are better left to the professionals. Today, we are going to be talking about some common DIY locksmithing mistakes. By reading about these common mistakes, you will hopefully understand why hiring a professional locksmith is of the utmost importance!
Common DIY Locksmithing Mistakes
There are certain tasks that most people can handle when it comes to securing their home. From duplicating keys to ordering new locks, these are simple. Unfortunately, more complicated tasks end up creating more complicated issues. While there is definitely value in being a DIY expert, there are certain limitations that you might run against without even realising it. Let's go ahead and outline a few of the most common issues that we see crop up when people attempt their own DIY locksmithing.
1) Attempting Re-Keying DIY - Re-keying is a simple enough process to read about, but it is actually more difficult to do correctly than you would expect. While you can buy a re-keying kit for your locks online, you have to be very specific about the kit that you purchase. Certain re-keying kits won't do anything for certain locks. You have to match the brand and lock type in order to ensure that the process is a success.
2) Mismatching Doors & Locks - The material of your door will decide a heck of a lot about what kind of lock that you choose. Certain door materials will only work with certain types of locks. For example, if you purchase a door lock that is meant for a steel door but you install it on your wooden door, you'll have issues.
3) Not Paying Attention to Weather - When you are installing new locks, you have to make sure that you are paying attention to the weather conditions of your region. Most people live in areas where adverse weather will occasionally crop up. As a result, you need to make sure that you purchase weather-proof locks that can handle temperature and moisture fluctuations.
4) Going Too Cheap - Saving money is important, that's easy to understand, but that doesn't mean you should always go cheap. When it comes to your home security, you get what you pay for.
If you want to secure your home the right way, we can help. For over 30 years, our team at Glenferrie Locksmiths has been serving Melbourne with quality, professional locksmithing services.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Four Most Efficient Ways to Ensure Bump-Free Locks from Glenferrie Locksmiths
- Know the Most Ideal Safe Lock Mechanisms from Glenferrie Locksmiths
- The Basics of Tubular Locks and How They Can Best Secure Your Property
- Things to Consider in Assessing the Reliability of Your Residential Locksmith
- Commercial Property Security: Lock System Must Haves for Office Units and Businesses
- What are the Common Causes of Lock Failures and How to Avoid Them?
- How to Choose the Right Kinds of Lock for Your Home
- How Can Homeowners Ensure Maximum Lock Security for Ongoing Construction Projects?
- 5 Door Lock Problems that You Must Not Ignore
- Things You Need to Know in Choosing the Right Locksmith for Your Home
- Things You Need to Know about Installing a Security Safe in Your Home
- What is Locksmith Fraud and How to Avoid Dealing with Them?
- What is a Master Key System and Its Importance in a Commercial Space?
- Pros and Cons of Keyless Entry for Homes
- How to Fix Common Lock Problems
- 4 Situations that Call for Replacing Office Locks
- Odds of Home Burglary and How Certain Locks Can Prevent It
- Benefits of Using Digital Smart Locks for Your Melbourne Home
- Step by Step Process of Designing Master Key Systems
- View all articles…
- Is Your Front Door at Risk of a Break-in? Have it Checked by Professional Locksmiths
- From Conventional to Digital Locks: Technological Evolution in Locksmithing
- View all articles…
- Pros and Cons of Restricted Key System vs. Standard Locks
- Security Tips for Factories When Moving to a New Location
- View all articles…