Lock Bumping: What is It All About and How Can This be Prevented?November 22, 2019
Burglars have found a new easy way to enter your property.
If you believe that your property is secured enough, well, think again. Picking a lock may be impossible for the burglars to do these days, but they may have evolved since then. Security is perhaps the most important aspect that you must look into since we have possessions that can lure burglars to our properties.
Burglars use a new picking technique to make their way to our properties without us noticing. This technique known as lock bumping does not even have to use any excessive force to break our doors.
What is Lock Bumping?
Lock bumping is a picking technique that uses a bump key to align the pins of a cylinder lock. The bump key, or 999 key, is normally used by locksmiths for its intended purpose. But with the wrong hands, the bump key can be used to enter any properties without authorization from the owners.
Lock bumping is only effective with cylinder locks. However, many residential property owners are accustomed to using the said locks since cylinder locks are one of the most common locks in the market. Moreover, the lock bumping process only requires about 10 seconds to complete the whole process, making it dangerous to property owners who are always out of their homes.
With lock bumping, a burglar will insert the bump key into the lock. The burglar then uses a mallet or screwdriver to bump the inserted key. Consequently, this bumping action aligns the pins inside the lock. With a small twist of the key, the burglar can now open the door with ease. This whole process happens so fast that without any supplementary security system, the burglar can take your precious things in just a few minutes.
How to Prevent Lock Bumping?
Fortunately, there are numerous ways of preventing lock bumping. The following measures can help you maximise the protection of your property.
- Bump-proof locks: Replacing your cylinder locks with bum-proof locks gives burglars a headache in picking the lock. These locks are sturdy and have additional security features like small unique marking near the keyhole, bolt with a ball bearing extension, and others.
- Alternative locks: Numerous door locks are now created to enhance property security. One of these locks is keyless deadbolt locks. These locks can be integrated with modern locking technology for added security. Another option for your lock is light commercial grade locks. These locks have a solid build quality and cannot be picked easily.
- Lock guards: Lock guards can be helpful if you are inside the property. A flip guard can hold the lock and deadbolt in place that will prevent the burglar from picking the lock. One downside of this is that it can’t be unlocked from the outside.
- Security system: As a property owner, your security must not rely purely on the locks. Alarms, motion sensors, and security cameras are great options when enhancing your security since you can be notified right away if someone is trying to enter your property.
- Guard dog: Another helpful companion when it comes to property security is guard dogs. They can sense and even attack those who will attempt to sneak.
- Visibility: Together with locks and other security mechanisms, one effective way of improving your security is through clear visibility around your property. If your landscape is designed and lighted in a way where you can see all corners of your property, then it would be difficult for burglars to hide and plan an escape route once they attempt to break-in.
If you have more questions about lock bumping, you can contact us at Glenferrie Locksmiths. After all, enhancing your security is easy with us. We can provide and install different types of lock systems for all types of properties.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Four Most Efficient Ways to Ensure Bump-Free Locks from Glenferrie Locksmiths
- Know the Most Ideal Safe Lock Mechanisms from Glenferrie Locksmiths
- The Basics of Tubular Locks and How They Can Best Secure Your Property
- Things to Consider in Assessing the Reliability of Your Residential Locksmith
- Commercial Property Security: Lock System Must Haves for Office Units and Businesses
- What are the Common Causes of Lock Failures and How to Avoid Them?
- How to Choose the Right Kinds of Lock for Your Home
- How Can Homeowners Ensure Maximum Lock Security for Ongoing Construction Projects?
- 5 Door Lock Problems that You Must Not Ignore
- Things You Need to Know in Choosing the Right Locksmith for Your Home
- Things You Need to Know about Installing a Security Safe in Your Home
- What is Locksmith Fraud and How to Avoid Dealing with Them?
- What is a Master Key System and Its Importance in a Commercial Space?
- Pros and Cons of Keyless Entry for Homes
- How to Fix Common Lock Problems
- 4 Situations that Call for Replacing Office Locks
- Odds of Home Burglary and How Certain Locks Can Prevent It
- Benefits of Using Digital Smart Locks for Your Melbourne Home
- Step by Step Process of Designing Master Key Systems
- View all articles…
- Is Your Front Door at Risk of a Break-in? Have it Checked by Professional Locksmiths
- From Conventional to Digital Locks: Technological Evolution in Locksmithing
- View all articles…
- Pros and Cons of Restricted Key System vs. Standard Locks
- Security Tips for Factories When Moving to a New Location
- View all articles…